Many of us had often heard that carbs should not be consumed before bed or at night because our metabolism slows down during sleep and anyone should limit their carb intake in night as it is more likely to be stored as fat and less likely to be burned as fuel.
Its first important to clarify that what we actually mean by metabolism.
Lets find out!😁
Metabolism actually means the metabolic rate which determines your Daily Energy Expenditure. Which simply means how many calories you burn in a day.
There are mainly four components in which our (TDEE) Total Daily Energy Expenditure depends
- RMR/ BMR (basal metabolic rate)
- EAT (exercise activity thermogenesis
- NEAT (non- exercise activity thermogenesis)
- Thermic effect of food.
- So firstly we will talk about BMR which simply means how much calories we burned in a day in order to maintaining our internal functions going on like respiratory and cardiovascular systems. It determines our 50-70%of our TDEE.
- Exercise activity thermogenesis simply means how much calories you burn through exercise like going to gym or doing a moderate cardio.🤾♂️🏋️♂️🚴♂️
- Next is Non exercise activity thermogenesis means you burn calories through daily activity but not from exercise….example like going for a walk or playing any game.
- Last is the Thermic effect of food is the amount of energy expenditure above the basal metabolic rate due to the cost of processing food for use and storage.